The demo applications report error on windows xp

General help: new users, installing the Ecere SDK, using the IDE to compile and run applications.
nowind_lee

The demo applications report error on windows xp

Post by nowind_lee »

I download the applications from http://www.ecere.com/blog/category/user-applications/, but only the first one can be run successful on windows XP. The media play and chess will open a error dialog then close.

My OS is windows XP
jerome
Site Admin

Re: The demo applications report error on windows xp

Post by jerome »

Hi nowind_lee,

Did you extract those programs to a folder before attempting to run them, or are you trying to run them directly from an archiver like 7-zip? The latter won't work, because they're packaged with the dlls they need. Try extracting all files to a folder first, and then running them from that folder.

If that still doesn't work, you can download the source of the chess program at https://github.com/ecere/chess. See if you get the same error if you build it?

What you can do as well is use the Project / Add Project to Workspace, within your Chess workspace, to add the ecere.epj ( from sdk/ecere ), and build and run both Ecere and Chess in Debug mode.

This could be helpful in figuring out what's going on. What kind of error dialog is it?
Could you post a screen grab?

Thanks.

Jerome
nowind_lee

Post by nowind_lee »

I extracted them into a directory before running.

I found the reason: I extracted them into a directory with Chinese characters :oops:

Now I changed the directory name to English, and it's running fine :)
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

nowind_lee,

I really doubt that was the issue. I think you must have extracted only some of the files, not all (e.g. missing dlls).
I can run those applications just fine from a directory with Chinese characters here.

-Jerome
nowind_lee

Post by nowind_lee »

I will show some screenshots to you:

This is fine:

jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

nowind_lee,

You're totally right. I don't know why when I tried it last night it didn't seem to make a difference, must have been tired :oops:

I've reuploaded eChess.zip, it shouldn't suffer from this issue anymore. This must be an old Unicode bug that was fixed a long time ago (it didn't happen with the newer Ecere dll).

Thanks for pointing this out :D

-Jerome
nowind_lee

Post by nowind_lee »

It's OK now.

And, the Media player sample has the same issue. It can started successful, but if you add some music files and play one, it has the same error dialog.
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

nowind_lee, I've just repackaged Acovel as well. Please let me know if it solves the issue. Make sure your browser re-downloaded the file, there should be an EcereAudio.dll in the new package.
I fixed the missing images on the blog/Applications as well, that was annoying :P

Cheers

-Jerome
nowind_lee

Post by nowind_lee »

Everything is OK now.