Ecere web browser crash

General help: new users, installing the Ecere SDK, using the IDE to compile and run applications.
jonaspm

Ecere web browser crash

Post by jonaspm »

Hello jerome :)

Today i tried to compile the Ecere web browser sample, and got some trouble while trying to, but after succesfully doing it, the browser crashed when i clicked on the "Go!" button, meaning opening the typed website, it crashed (i did not edit the website url).

Do you have any hint?

EDIT: opening other websites rather than www.google.com doesn't work also.

Maybe the problem is the CSS and Javascript that the websites contain and cannot be processed by HTMLViewer?
jerome
Site Admin

Re: Ecere web browser crash

Post by jerome »

Hi Jonas,

Where did you find that web browser sample?
As far I know it has not been distributed with the SDK for a while.

Indeed the web browser does not support CSS and JavaScript.
That renders it mostly useless, but it should still not crash.

I tried the version from this thread, with the latest Ecere SDK on GitHub, and it does not crash on clicking go and opens up Google.com just fine (But no search option, just text saying 'Google').

However it hangs on ecere.com, taking a long time before things show up. I will look into that!

Thanks,

Jerome
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Here are some libraries for a web browser, these libraries are written in C and are part of the NetSurf Browser

http://www.netsurf-browser.org/projects/.
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Hi Jonas!

Thanks for the link.

Building a web browser is not really our focus right now, it was more of a Ecere networking capability sample. However there still seems to be a problem with the HTTPFile processing, which I really want to fix. Unfortunately I haven't had the time yet, as we're heading out to Philadelphia for FOSSCON tomorrow and we're planning on releasing 0.44.08 with lots of bug fixes tonight!

You're welcome to toy around with building a browser with these libraries, and let me know if you build any eC bindings for them! We might do so in the future, as a web browser is indeed one of the things we would like in our eventual cross-platform Ecere Desktop Environment system.

Regards,

Jerome
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Don't worry :) maybe i can play a bit with these libraries (should i study more about networking?)

Anyway, i am glad that there is another open source rendering engine that is still clean, simple and light.

I wish you the best!!! go and impress them! :D
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

jerome wrote:Hi Jonas,

Where did you find that web browser sample?
As far I know it has not been distributed with the SDK for a while.

Indeed the web browser does not support CSS and JavaScript.
That renders it mostly useless, but it should still not crash.

I tried the version from this thread, with the latest Ecere SDK on GitHub, and it does not crash on clicking go and opens up Google.com just fine (But no search option, just text saying 'Google').

However it hangs on ecere.com, taking a long time before things show up. I will look into that!
Sorry for not replying! That's the thread that i looked at! I also see the word "Google" displayed inside the browser, but after clicking "Go" or trying to access another website, the Ecere Browser crashes :(
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Hi jonas,

I've opened an issue and resolved some of the crashes you may have been encountering:

http://ecere.com/mantis/view.php?id=960

I still need to work on improving the responsiveness, getting rid of some hang ups in the browser:

http://ecere.com/mantis/view.php?id=997

Regards,

Jerome
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Nice :) hope it doesn't take you too much to fix it :)

Regards, Jonas
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Hi jonas!

These problems should mostly be solved now!
I've also added the browser sample to the samples/net/ folder.
Please give it a try and tell me what you think...
I'm also making some more improvements to the browser, so keep checking for updates :D

Regards,

Jerome
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Thanks jerome! i will take a look! :D