Debugger line stepping

General help: new users, installing the Ecere SDK, using the IDE to compile and run applications.
shakeshuck

Debugger line stepping

Post by shakeshuck »

Trouble is here again! :lol:

In a previous post I had difficulty working out an issue due to the debugger (apparently) not line-stepping correctly. I have run into the same issue again.

My low level of skill with regards to this language means I need to be able to step through my code line by line in order to watch values changing; unfortunately the debugger doesn't seem to want to help me in achieving this. :(
It appears to skip portions of code, usually the bits I need to be examining.

Once again, is this something I haven't set up correctly?
shakeshuck

Re: Debugger line stepping

Post by shakeshuck »

I've worked out that I can get round this on a temporary basis by putting breakpoints on each line, but it's a bit of a pain...!
jerome
Site Admin

Re: Debugger line stepping

Post by jerome »

If you are using the 'Debug' config, optimizations are disabled, and you have 'Debuggable' checked (In Project compiler settings), then you are set up correctly, and are sadly suffering from some remaining limitations.

Something that works particularly bad with line stepping at the moment is when you use containers, and for each loops (for(i : container)). Another thing might be default properties (values set up directly in the class). Other than these, generally line stepping should work relatively well, but there are some particular cases. Sometimes GDB might be to blame, other times the line numbers inserted in the generated C code are to blame. Make sure the GDB that gets used is the one packaged with the Ecere installer, as other versions will not work as well.

If you're still having trouble figuring something out, I will be happy to assist.

Regards,

-Jerome