project settings

General help: new users, installing the Ecere SDK, using the IDE to compile and run applications.
valgouss

project settings

Post by valgouss »

Hello all, could you help me, please, with IDE project settings. When compiling a sample project file on Win10 (32bits), I'd like to get the Linux exe file. When I changed the corresponding option for the build in the project setting tab to Linux, I was not able to change the platform and get always the Win32 exe. The project setting remains to be "Common". What I am doing wrong?
Thank you, Valeri
jerome
Site Admin

Re: project settings

Post by jerome »

Hi there,

To be able to directly compile for another platform, you first need to setup a cross-compiler.

I have never set up such a cross-compiler targeting Linux from Windows myself, but I've done the opposite (Building for Windows from Linux).

Setting up Cygwin ( http://www.cygwin.com/ ) seems to be the best way to set up such a compiler. It may also be possible with MinGW ( http://www.mingw.org/wiki/HostedCrossCompilerHOWTO )

This *MAY* be such a cross-compiler (probably requires Cygwin set up to run):

ftp://ftp.linux.ee/pub/gnu/sourceware/c ... -gcc-core/

Once you have a working C cross-compiler targeting Linux, you would configure in the Ecere IDE's Global Settings a new compiler configuration for it (e.g. call it 'cross-linux' or something similar), and for that you would select the 'Linux' platform and fill up all paths and options appropriately.

Once you have your compiler set up, you can use the Active Compiler dropdox in the toolbar to select it and try to build your executable for Linux.

In the project settings tabs, the Common and Platform tabs refer to specifying different options for the different platforms, they do not select an 'active' platform or configuration.

Let me know how it goes!

Best regards,

-Jerome
valgouss

Re: project settings

Post by valgouss »

Hi, Jerome,
Thank you for the fast reply. I'll try your propositions.
Regards, Valeri