Control layer

General help with the Ecere Cross Platform GUI toolkit: Window, common controls, events, etc.
Help with the 2D Graphics library: Surface, Display, Bitmap, Font and others.
shakeshuck

Control layer

Post by shakeshuck »

I have another oddity, but this might be down to my misunderstanding...

I have placed a checkbox on top of a listbox, and the listbox is set inactive but visible.
If I click the listbox behind the checkbox, the checkbox disappears unless I move the cursor to where the checkbox is, in which case it becomes visible again.
To fix this, I tried to use 'stay on top' in the properties list for the control, but it does not seem to help, and changes the position parameters for the control to be that of the window. I guess it shouldn't do this?

What can I do to make sure the checkbox remains on top? :?
jerome
Site Admin

Re: Control layer

Post by jerome »

This seems like an (interesting) drawing bug only.
The checkbox always remains on top but somehow the ListBox is drawing itself and the checkbox is not being redrawn as it should...

You can set 'fullRender = true' on the parent form to work around this issue
(This may also improve performance anyways if you have lots of small controls in your form).

On a related note though this sounds like a different path than the 2 options I was proposing regarding checkboxes together with listboxes. (The options being namely the CheckListBox in extras or some derived code which actually has the checkboxes as child windows of the ListBox, and the other being using a data type that will create a checkbox editor in its OnEdit). Having the CheckBoxes as siblings of the ListBox sounds tricky, and will be hard to synchronize e.g. with scrolling.

I'm scared to hear about the new problems you will discover in these unchartered waters ;)

-Jerome
shakeshuck

Post by shakeshuck »

jerome wrote:You can set 'fullRender = true' on the parent form to work around this issue
That got it, thanks.
On a related note though this sounds like a different path than the 2 options I was proposing regarding checkboxes together with listboxes.

I'm scared to hear about the new problems you will discover in these unchartered waters ;)
No need to panic! - I completely chickened out of attempting anything complicated. Scrolling will not be an option. :lol:

Did you pick up on what I said regarding the property box changing a control's position incorrectly?

Thanks again!
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Did you pick up on what I said regarding the property box changing a control's position incorrectly?
I tried testing setting stayOnTop = true, but although it did not solve the drawing bug (the checkbox was always on top anyways), I did not encounter that problem.

Would you be able to describe steps to show this behavior?

Thanks,

-Jerome
shakeshuck

Post by shakeshuck »

New video on its way... :)
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

This problem has nothing to do with the stayOnTop property.
This is the case where the IDE should leave alone those properties set using variables alone when editing the code. I appaprently broke this last year when adding support for internationalizationable strings.

I committed a fix here:
https://github.com/ecere/ecere-sdk/comm ... 35241b2f78

Do you know how to build the SDK from source to update, or would you like me to send you an updated ide.exe ?
We really need an auto-update feature in the IDE :) It has been on our wish list for a long time...

I also fixed up the counter-intuitive selection colors in the property sheet, that has bugged for a long time but as I don't tend to use the property sheet very much I never got around to it until now.

( https://github.com/ecere/ecere-sdk/comm ... afc2607e80 )

Thanks again for the bug report.

Cheers,

Jerome
shakeshuck

Post by shakeshuck »

Thanks, Jerome.

It would be nice if you could possibly provide an exe; the laptop I'm using for development is ancient and very short on HDD space... and if I made a mess it would also hold up what is taking me far too long to do already. :oops:
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Please find an update to the 0.44.12 32-bit IDE and Documentor with a couple fixes, including this control properties fix at this address:

http://ecere.com/tmp/update.7z
shakeshuck

Post by shakeshuck »

Thanks, Jerome.

My apologies, but I hadn't realised the ide was only 2MB in size - I had visions (and memories) of compiling apps on the *BSDs, which often consisted of a few days cursing and swearing... :o